Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 9 The Busy Vegan


This week will not only be a continued challenge of eating vegan and healthier but now I have the added stress of working on a huge painting that has to be done by next week, and the College Arts Association Conference is this week.

The challenge will be to find things to eat when I'm downtown all day the next couple days. I have a book given to me by a friend called Veg Out, Vegetarian Guide to Chicago which should be helpful. But friends are in town from everywhere, and with them will come the temptation of eating things that are not on my diet.

Last night was a good example of having things already prepared or mostly prepared to save on meal making time. I made homemade dough a few days ago and had enough left over frr another pizza. You can freeze pizza dough and un-thaw it for later use, and this is just what I did.

Freezing things has always made me nervous, I feel like it's a generational thing.

My Grandmothers seem to have the freezing food for later use thing down to a science. But for me I never know what can be froze, how long you can keep it frozen, and how quickly you have to use after you unfreeze it.

My Mother's Mother "Maw" freezes everything, and I mean everything from bread and cereal to meat and cooked vegetables. But for me it may take more practice for me to feel confident about it.

The dough was easy I only had it in there for a few days so I wasn't worried about that, but I wondered "would it still taste good and cook as well as the first time?" and the answer was yes.

I put the freezer bag full of dough in the fridge and let it thaw for about 7 hours. I took it out and let it warm up to room temperature a bit before I started to make it into a pizza crust.

I had left over sauce from the last pizza, and changed up the toppings a bit. Also A warning don't go to heavy on the toppings and sauce because I did and it's made the crust a little soggy in places.

Tuesday Night Pizza Toppings
Mushrooms sliced
Fresh Red Peppers
Basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 morning Star Grillers Chik'n patty un-thawed in the microwave and sliced into smaller pieces
BBQ sauce
(I wish I had it but forgot) Pineapple chunks
Grated vegan cheddar cheese

I put the chopped mushrooms and Chik'n patty in a bowl and covered Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce on everything. Then gently stirred the contents till the mushrooms and Chick'n patty was coated.
I then put a layer of pizza sauce on then the cheese and the other ingredients.
Baked the pizza for about 10 minutes at 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remember to watch the Pizza closely when your baking it at that temperature your oven may cook slower or faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment