Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 20 Handle Bar Is My New Favorite Brunch Spot



I'm playing a little catch up with my daily blog because of my crazy art work week. Saturday Morning I had to get to the studio but my lack of inspiration and motivation to cook before I left gave Chris and I a chance to eat a yummy vegan brunch at Handle Bar Cafe in Wicker Park again. Damn that place it s good!

I had a delicious, filling, and rather healthy Vegan Breakfast Burrito stuffed with seitan chorizo, potato, avocado, cilantro and spinach with sides of beans and salsa.

I eagerly recommend this place, and I honestly can't wait to go back when I can have one of their egg dishes. This brings me to the reality of my experience with the many positives, and the few negatives. I feel to keep this sharing experience honest I have to be upfront about my challenges.


Yes I am loosing weight, and feeling overall healthier, and more energetic, and I like being more conscious of what I put in my body, and putting better quality things in it.

But the dark side may be related to the huge increase in the vegetables, fiber, and soy I am now ingesting into my body. Now I eat healthy but I was not really use to eating quite this much of it.

I am no doctor nor have I talked to one and I will not go into great detail but my digestive system has struggled this month.

I feel bloated a lot, I feel campy a lot, and even 20 days down the road it hasn't gotten much better. I have been trying to do research to see if there are combination of things I could eat to reduce this irritation without taking over the counter drugs.

I also have this (most likely false fear (mainly Chris's fault)) that I will be lactose intolerant when I pick up eating dairy again, gosh I hope not.

Sure I miss cheese, sure I miss eggs, but damn do I miss milk! I know I'm not suppose to drink it and most adults get grossed out at the thought of drinking a big glass of milk but not me. I am also an avid cereal eater and soy milk just does not cut it for me. I have tried, and the chocolate soy milk is a little easier for me to drink and I love it in smoothies. But after almost of month of nothing but soy I can say I wont be able to totally abandon my dependence on milk. I however promise to only buy organic, and will hope the cows who provide it are treated OK.



No comments:

Post a Comment