Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 6 Vegan For the Weekend



Oh Saturdays! I love Saturdays, I love sleeping in, spending the day with my favorite guy and cat, making a big yummy brunch or going out for one. This was my first Saturday as a Vegan and I was honestly a little depressed about having oatmeal again. Saturday is made for the kinda meal that keeps you full until you have a late dinner. The kinda meal that requires a nap to recover from it. Now I have a lot of awesome Vegan cookbooks at my fingertips that have a lot of yummy brunch meal ideas, like Tofu scrambles, and Vegan waffles but I was missing a lot of important ingredients and did I mention I didn't want to eat oatmeal again?

To avoid oatmeal overload Chris and I went to a really yummy and affordable restaurant in our neighbor hood that offers not only vegetarian options but vegan ones, and lots of them!

Handlebar Bar and Grill a little hipster, biker (the no motor version) heaven in Wicker Park.

The menu is really good if your vegan or vegetarian or carnivore. Chris ordered the Vegan Biscuits and Gravy and I got the Vegan Diablos, it was a little on the spicy side but really good. Lot's of wonderful flavor and heat. It had two corn tostadas covered with scrambled tofu which is the tofu that is intended to replace scrambled eggs, and it really did the job. As you know imitation stuff is a hard sell for me, but after tasting how good and egg-like the tofu scramble was it has inspired me to try it at home. The portions were so big we couldn't even finish everything. The whole meal with coffee and one Bloody Mary cost about 30.00 bucks for the two of us. Handlebar may be the brunch answer for my month as a vegan. The dinner menu also looks really good so you may hear more of my meals at Handlebar.

The Biscuits and Gravy was the best meat-less version I've had since I've moved to Chicago and I absolutely recommend it for veggies and meat eaters alike mainly because it taste like the real thing and probably has 1/4th the fat of the real thing. Like I said it was the best meatless version I've had since I've moved to Chicago, I honestly have never had a better meatless biscuits and Gravy since Casa Nueva in Athens Ohio. Their Soysage and Gravy was hands down the best I've ever had, even better than the real thing. It makes me want to make a trip to Athens just to eat there again!

No comments:

Post a Comment