Saturday, February 13, 2010

Day 10, 11, 12 Eating Vegan On The Go and Cooking Ahead


I have been wicked busy because if you read in my last post I was attending a conference the past few days.

Since I've started this experience I have been cooking a lot more and the few times I've eaten out it's been well researched and planned.

The College Arts Association kept me pretty busy on Thursday and Friday, I had to get there early and didn't have a chance to eat breakfast. Both days I was going back and forth to different lectures and workshops and didn't have lunch. In the afternoon I found myself starving.

The conference was being held at the Hyatt Regency downtown Chicago. They had a little snack bar that served quickie sandwiches, cookies, quite a variety of things if you were either vegetarian or a meat eater. As a vegan I was limited to cashews and piece of fruit and a soy latte. Not bad but not great either. There was a restaurant there but there was no way I was going to pay 15 bucks for a salad with tomatoes with Oil and vinegar. So with no time to venture out, I had to deal.

When I got home around 10 PM I was starving but luckily the day before I thought ahead, and I think anyone with a diet that limits them who is also very busy has to think ahead.

The day before I made a really awesome vegan chili, it's a recipe I've been playing with and using for a long time. I adapted the recipe from the way my family makes chili, added more beans and removed the meat.

It's really good, easy to make, and twice as healthy as the meat version, and I promise meat eaters and vegetarians and vegans will all like this one:

Cheri's 4 Bean Chili

Ingredients:
1 large Can of whole peeled tomatoes
1 Can of Diced Tomatoes ( I used the Delmonte Zesty Chili Style Diced Tomatoes)
1/2 Onion Chopped
1 Fresh Red Pepper Chopped
1 Can of pinto beans
1 Can of garbanzo beans
1 Can of black beans
1 Can of Kidney Beans
1 Small can of corn
2 tbs. of tomato paste
1 tbs. of vegetable oil
1 package of chili seasoning ( I like McCormick Original Chili Seasoning Mix)
dash of paprika
salt and pepper to taste
3 cloves of garlic broken in a garlic press
1 Cup of water
Hot sauce to taste

1. You want to heat the oil in a frying pan and then add the onion, pepper, paprika, salt, pepper and saute till the peppers and onions are little soft. Then add garlic and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes until the garlic heats up but be careful not to burn it.

2. In a large pot add all other ingredients, the sautéed mixture then mix ingredients with a large spoon. Let simmer over medium heat for an hour stirring the mixture every ten to fifteen minutes. As you stir the mixture try to use the large spoon to break up the large tomatoes this will get easier the longer they cook. Lower the heat and cook for 20 to 30 more minutes (this will make the flavors richer but if your hungry it should be ready after an hour).

Serve with vegan cheddar cheese, vegan sour cream, or me I like to crumble tortilla chips on top.

It will provide about 6 to 7 servings and last about three days in the fridge or you can freeze the extra to have it on a day when your too busy to cook.



No comments:

Post a Comment