Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 5 Skinny Bitches Got Me Thinking Twice About Eating Cheese Ever Again



Yesterday I worked at my friend's store Dovetail and had a little time to begin reading all the literature friend's have given me about Veganism. I started reading Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. I absolutely recommend it to anyone who is trying to loose weight and is considering alternatives to how they eat. It's pretty good, the authors use a lot of tough love, the language is brass, vulgar, and very funny! But alas it is not all demeaning language and funny antidotes there is a lot of damn scary stuff in that book. I came home from work exploding with information about the horrible condition of the food industry and convinced I would never eat dairy or meat again. Well that's probably not true, I will eat cheese again but after finishing this and other books on why to go vegan I will never look at it the same way again.

Is ignorance bliss? Maybe it's easier not to know about all the awful crap that's in our food (and yes even organic food) rather than be limited to soy for the rest of our lives, I'm not really sure? I wish I had more willpower to do it, and I see why people who practice veganism are so passionate about the lifestyle, I admire their discipline and know it's a very positive and intelligent way to live. Now I've made my jokes about vegans and I look back and really feel bad because a lot of the negative reaction people have to it is from being ignorant or scarred or simply guilty.

I've actually decided against going back to Ohio this month because of this very reason. I'm not sure If I could handle the constant harassment that would accompany telling some of my friends and family I was eating vegan for the month. So if you are reading this and have ever given a vegetarian or vegan a hard time realize there are about a billion other people who deserve negative attention and cynicism before they do.
So After a day of thinking it over I'm glad I'm learning these things, I think if anything I will for sure seek alternatives when I can, and much more often. If I do eat dairy or "Dead, Rotten, Decomposing Flesh" as they call it in Skinny Bitch I'll do my best to eat the lesser bad of those products. But seriously food industry, what the F*%k?! Get your act together and make our food better!

For dinner Friday night it was a simple and quick bean burrito with tomatoes, avocado slices, veggie cheddar cheese and salsa. My boyfriend Chris has been hooked on that chipotle hot sauce and I added some of that, salt and pepper, and mashed garlic to the beans. I wrapped it up in a spinach tortilla.




No comments:

Post a Comment